test day at Blackhawk

To: <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: test day at Blackhawk
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 07:35:48 -0500
Hey y'all,

So, Matt Primack's test day at Blackhawk turned out to be an expensive one
for him, as many that promised to show, didn't. He ended up keeping the cost
down for the faithful that did shpw, and took a $1700 bath personally.

After a 4 days of 90+ weather followed by Thursday night thunderstorms, we
had a spectacular day of 50-60 degrees, dry, and sunny last Friday.

With very few exceptions, drivers obeyed the rules, and drove well, logging
lots of track time. There are a lot of changes to Blackhawk this year. SCCA
came in last Nov. and mandated changes in runoff areas... and expected them
to be in place by spring (apparently they're not aware of winter around
here...). Luckily, we had a mild winter, and the majority of changes are
done. The outside of the track has a dirt burm (sp?) guarded by an
interwoven tire wall. many of the visual cues you might have relied on for
brake points or turn in are gone, or vastly different. So, be prepared for a
"new look".

We had only one incident during testing. The left front hub on Craig "Eddie
Haskell" Bielat's Lotus Elite decided it had taken enough abuse...
fractured, and departed the car (taking the tire and wheel with it of
course) as he was accelerating in 6A. The car (owing to its nature as 1/2
Glastron runabout) hydroplaned thru the very wet grass/weeds and ended up
way the hell out there. It's path included a couple of hoopdidoos, and I'm
sure he was airborne a few times. Of course, Craig is so cool, I'm sure he
didn't even lose the ash of his cigarette as he rode the beast to its grassy
resting place. There was very little body damage, and the car should be back
together quickly.

(Sung to the the melody of "You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille")

You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel.
I nearly shit myself, car's in the field.
It's made of fiberglass, I nearly losy my ass,
Next time it happens I'll squeal.
You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel.

I, your benevolent dicatator, the Flounder, worked the bridge all day
(facing the sun, without the aid of sunscreen on this cool day). My face is
shedding another layer of skin today... uggghhh.

WST