Re: Triumphs and roll overs

To: "Randall Young" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Triumphs and roll overs
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:23:07 -0500
In my humble opinion (and how often do you hear my opinion characterized as
humble) this nothing more than a very, very serious safety issue, not an
originality. If we were going for original, then take the roll bar out of
your car.

Originality is a really subjective topic. Most of the Ferraris running
vintage these days are a "rebodied" something or other... with the body
skins made by someone other than old world Italian craftsmen. Same could be
said of anything out there British, Italian, German... whatever, using some
reproduction (even Asian)  parts. So, where do you draw the line? Is it
shape? Is it intent? Is it original materials? Are you tracking me here?

As evidenced by a number of testimonials, this is not a tire issue either.
They seem to break no matter what tire is under them. . (I've run Dunlops
and Hoosiers at the same track, and seen very little difference in lap
times. Both, I'm sure, are stressing suspension components.)

Sprite stub axles are supposedly notorious for breaking... yet in 15 years
or so of being around vintage racing, Donato's recent failure at Gingerman
was the first I've seen. I seem to hear about 3 or 4 Triumph rollovers per
year in vintage.

So, if you ask me (an no one's asking...just trying to stimulate some
constructive dicussion here..) I'd say put 8" Ford rear ends in all the TRs.
They're not gonna go any faster. In addition to saving some cars, it might
save your car if you're racing next to one. "Knock on wood"...it might even
save some lives.

WST