notes/thoughts/thanks

To: "'team-thicko@autox.team.net'" <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: notes/thoughts/thanks
From: "Kansa, Robert" <KansaR@diebold.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:35:46 -0400
Thickos:
  Thank you for the suggestions and responses about Au-Grattan/Rain
tires/brakes..and all my other inquiries. We are really looking forward to
going and plan on dye checking all the axles before Au-Grattan !

It is indeed sad that another car got bent up, but we are thankful that Tony is
ok, and that is what is most important. The TR will be missed. Tony is
irreplaceable

Thicko's, I am asked so many times, as people look at my Sprite and the Ginetta
i am rebuilding, " you actually race that rare old thing?. isnt it woth a lot
of money?, are you not afraid of denting (breaking/smashing,whatever) it? " I
tell them, if i wanted a pretty museum piece to sit around and admire, i would
find a big picture of one and put it in the middle of my garage on an stand and
sit and look at the picture, it would be worth just about as much. to me the
cars are only worth what i use them for, the more i use them the more they are
personally worth. The reason i (we) race these cars is to enjoy ourselves and
what they were made for. It is always a sad tragedy to loose a car in a wreck.
But ,it is a worse tragedy to waste a great car to auto apathy. A book is not a
book unless it is read. A racecar is not a racecar unless it is driven, and our
racing/sports cars were built to be enjoyed and driven. To us at Southwind, it
is worth the risk of involuntary loss (mechanical failure, not driver error),
to enjoy a lifetime of memories, fellowship, the thrill of friendly
competition, speed and adventures, all experienced in our hearts desires our
racecars. it is better to love and lose than not to of ever of loved at all, or
something like that.
The day i finished Tinkerbell (#25 sprite), i knew that someday something
tragic might happen to her, i hope it never will, but if i wanted an investment
i would be collecting gold coins instead of challenging fun old race cars.

As far as covering wrecked cars..when my car is hurt so is my pride and
feelings, and these are things i dont want to show. However, if i can reveal
something to somebody that it really matters to(fellow competitors), and that
will be a lesson and reminder to be careful and learn by a mistake or oversight
or just plain dumb luck. Then yes, if you are not just there to gawk but to
learn, by all means take a look.

We at southwind were just wondering....do we have to earn a nickname, or are we
free to choose our own?

Robert M Kansa
southwind racing