VSCDA Gingerman Races

To: team-thicko@autox.team.net
Subject: VSCDA Gingerman Races
From: Gary Speckman <speckman@coredcs.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 18:50:37 -0500
Dear Friends of Thicko.....

Team Thicko is proud to have two new drivers join the Worlds Biggest Vintage
Race team.

Last weekend, the Vintage Sports Car Drivers Association (VSCDA) held its
second annual Drivers School and Races at the Gingerman Raceway in South
Haven Michigan.

The class had over 60 students with a ratio of two students for each
instructor.  We again had the privilege of being joined by Vic Elford as
head instructor.  Vic brings with him many years of racing experience at Le
Mans, Sebring, all of the European and US race tracks.  Not only is he an
accomplished race car driver, he is an excellent teacher.  He held a very
informative classroom session on Friday night, going over competition
driving, braking techniques, weight transfer, and the basic rules of racing.
The following day he took all of the instructors around the track showing us
the line and giving advice on this particular track.  This was very helpful
when relaying this information to the students.

With three sessions in the morning and three in the afternoon, the students
got quite a bit of track time, with meetings after each session for feedback
from the instructors.

I had the opportunity to instruct Greg Shultz and Gary Kropf.  Both had
purchased 948cc Bugeyes over the winter months and were itching to get out
on the track with their cars.  Gary had participated in one previous drivers
school with the MidWest Council Sports Car Club at BlackHawk raceway a few
weeks prior to this event, so he had some experience with his car.  For
Greg, this was the first time out for his car.

Garys car had some minor overheating problems during the Saturday sessions,
but nothing that stopped him from participating in all of them. (I wont
mention that he RAN OUT OF GAS on the second to last lap of the "race" that
was the final session of the day).  Gregs car ran flawlessly.

I am very proud of both my students.  They both drove the line well, made
the correct hand signals when required, and watched for the corner worker
flags. The excitement in their faces after each event was great to see.

I am sure both are addicted to this sport and will do well in the future.  I
was unable to stay for the races on Sunday, so maybe one of them will write
a report for this list.  I do know they had to contend with some nasty
weather in the form of rain and water on the track.  Saturday's sessions
were dry so the "rain line" was not taught, but I bet they figured it out
just fine.

Congratulations to both and Welcome to Vintage Racing and Team Thicko!

Gary Speckman
MOD-TT
Plover WI