Fw: Speedwell FS & the Sprints

To: <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Speedwell FS & the Sprints
From: "Bruce Sargent" <bruces@caspers.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 11:44:37 -0600
I first got deep into Road Racing {just a spectator from early 1950's} in
1970.
Believe me when I say, 'Those slow cars out there?   They are truly Vintage
legal and all the 'fast' ones are not even close!'.

Several of the actual racer's of the early era and into the early 70's have
had the opportunity to drive the very racer they ran 'back then'.     They
ran faster then
they did when their skills were sharp and many commented that they were
scared the whole time and had no expectation of returning to racing and
doing Vintage Racing!!

Update/backdate?    Okay if you don't mind destroying a Vintage Vehicle
and not really driving a true vintage vehicle to boot!      Sometimes just
enjoying
driving an actual as raced vintage vehicle is a joy in its self.     Being
the fastest
on the course is not the only source of pleasure.     Did I say that?

Even all the talk about tires brings into vintage racing the faster times
possible in a vintage racer with NO other changes.     One gentleman who
vintage races an XK120 Coupe says he does not want to run the legal tires
for today's Vintage Racing groups because you lose the way the car felt
and drove when it was being raced for championships back when it was
a new car!!!!!     You should see how far over it leans in corners!     He
won't
even put a sway bar on it to flatten out the corners.

There is a challenge to get the most out of a specific car as is, no
modifications allowed!    The early days of Sports Car Racing was strictly
stock cars!    Soon, modified cars came on the scene, so classes were
created for them.      There
was a Jeep Station Wagon that was raced with a {I think} Cadillac V8 in it
at Aspen.
And, so on over the years.     My personal dream was to run Formula 1 and be
the first American Champion.     No guts, no money, no glory either.

So, my #2 dream was to take an HM Crosley Hot Shot to Le Mans and win the
Index of Performance Category.     Someone did that {51 or so}.     Now?
Just being able to drive safely/clean is still a big deal, and should I beat
someone who was in a faster car, so be it.    Underdogs Forever!!!
Besides, I am too big for too many cars these days.     I drive an Austin
Healy Sprite {Bug Eye} like I used to drive Go Karts.     I kick the rear
end
out with my rear end and look over the top of the windshield to see the
autocross course.

Keep it smooth, steady and between the pylons, that's how the viewers
of the runner see it,  while I am frantically cranking, stabbing throttle
and
goofy footing the brake and clutch, stirring the shifter madly, watching the
tach {not really}.      I make a terrible Instructor because I can't drive
and say
what I am doing to the student, so after I have driven their car with them I
then ride along and say what I think they should be doing.      I hate it
though
when they go out and immediately begin beating my best time!!!
ARRRGH!!!!    Of course they are in their car, not mine, so they can go
faster
then mine could anyway, they just had not before.

Time for lunch, Sayonara!