I-MAX Theater "Super Speedway"

To: "Vintage Racing List" <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: I-MAX Theater "Super Speedway"
From: "The Vulture" <vulture@gol.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 08:21:44 +0900
Recently as I was setting up secret meeting overseas, one of my associates
recommended a movie theater as an inconspicuous location.  Of course the
theaters I usually frequent, have sticky floors, torn seats and titles like
"Pamela and her Parrot".  So I was surprised when a ticket for the I-MAX
Theater was slipped under my door.  Even more exciting was the fact that the
movie was "Super Speedway".  A racing documentary on Mario and Michael
Andretti.

For those of you that don't know..... I-MAX theaters have screens that are
20m x 28m, are similar to a geodesic dome inside (for proper acoustics), and
are shot on a special 70mm movie camera.  The sound is digitized and
completely surrounds you.  I know that there are a couple of these theaters
in the States but usually they are only around large cities.

The version of the movie that I saw had been dubbed into the local language,
so I couldn't understand everything.  But racers speak their own
language...... SPEED.  It was wonderful.  The movie followed, the '96 CART
(possibly portions of '97) racing season.  With in-car camera shots that
made my pulse rise just watching.  In particular there were some excellent
in car shots at Road America.  MY GOD...... those INDY Cars fly.  I had more
fun trying to identify the tracks that they were racing on, and comparing
them to what we do.

On a unique side note.... the movie also had a restoration project of Mario
Andretti's first winning INDY Car (My apologies for lack of name and model,
but the movie was dubbed).  It was a sexy little thing, that looked like it
would be blast to drive.

I believe that this movie already finished its run in I-MAX Theaters in the
USA so I am not sure what recourse is available for those who haven't seen
it.  But if the opportunity presents itself do not hesitate.

On a sad note.... the local version of the Gestapo nabbed my contact just
outside the theater.  Being a master of disguises, I made my get away and
promised to take revenge for the loss of a valuable associate.
The Vulture
Bringing Tasteful Terrorism to Vintage Racing
E-mail: vulture@gol.com
WWW: http://www2.gol.com/users/vulture/