Re: The 1st Of Many (stupid) Questions

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The 1st Of Many (stupid) Questions
From: andi payn <payn@null.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 13:50:36 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
RedsMyDog:
>> What's the best gas (octane) & oil to use in this car?

Trevor Boicey:
>  As for the engine, I have to use high octane gas in
>my 75 Midget or it runs on after I turn the key, and
>pings occasionally. I used 94 octane sunoco, but I think
>I could get by on less.

I've tried a variety of gasolines in my '76 Midget, and I can't see much
difference no matter what I use. 87 octane Arco seems to work fine for me.

Talking to a friend's father who works as an oil refinery designer and
engineer a couple of years ago convinced me that every so often it's a good
idea to drive down to the last gallon, then fill up with the expensive gas
from one of a few brands (Mobil and Exxon in particular--and I assume he
was unbiased, because he mostly worked for Shell and Gulf), because they
put more and/or better detergents in their top-grade stuff.

He also told me that Arco was among the best for the cheap grades, and
driving on that most of the time is fine, especially for small engines.