New uses for old parts

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: New uses for old parts
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 08:43:07 +0000
Dear All,

I seem to be building up quite a selection of worn-out or otherwise
unusable parts as I gradually replace them with functional ones.   The
latest addition to the scrap heap is a speedometer (accurate to within
+/-15 mph, odometer drive gears stripped).   Given that there are
thousands of second-hand speedos out there that do work, there seems
little point in getting it refurbished, yet the dial is quite
attractive, and it is highly evocative of the car.

I have a box of pistons that, one day, will be sawn horizontally through
the gudgeon pin bore and converted to use as ashtrays, but what other
parts have possibilities for use after their original usefulness has
ended?   And what am I going to do with my speedo?   Daft, and
not-so-daft, suggestions for post-functional use of this (or any other
items retired from our little cars) welcomed...

Actually, I have just had one idea for the speedo - replace the works
with those from a battery-powered clock.   What time is it?   A quarter
past ninety mph!

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"