Re: [Shotimes] 92 problems

To: "shotimes@autox.team.net" <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] 92 problems
From: "George Fourchy" <krazgeo@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:58:38 -0700
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:34:08 EDT, Rcno2@aol.com wrote:

>My AC kinda works. It blows super cold, but only out of the defrost vents,  I
>pulled the control box out, and it looked fine. Under hood, I think I can
>hear a vac leak, but I cant seem to trace it, poss related? maybe which color
>hoses control what blend doors, so I may be able to run a vac on  them? I did
>just have the intake off of it, so It wouldn't suprise me if I  bumped
>something lose. It also has a high idel, which is tiping me off to a vac  leak.

Aha....does THAT sound familiar!!  (All this data is for a Gen 1..'92 is kind
of a
crossover version between G1 and G2).  Do you have EATC?  You have either a
total
vacuum failure of the EATC/vent controller, or a failure of the vacuum motor
that
operates the panel/defrost diverter.  First check under the hood in the center
of
the firewall.  There is a very small tube that goes into the center of the
firewall
that comes from a T that is fed from a 1/4 (or so) inch vacuum line that goes
across
the firewall.  That small tube feeds the vacuum system that controls the air
outlets
in the cabin.  The system fails in the defroster mode, so that you can at least
keep
the W/S clear in the winter.  If you are getting vacuum to the
controller/switch (if
you don't have EATC), the motor (actually a little diaphragm) and/or lever that
runs
the diverter for the dash/defroster has failed.

My Gen 1 dash diverter finally failed completely, and I wound up running it for
the
last 5 years or so with a coat-hangar wire that was hidden behind the glove
compartment door.  In the winter it would be up for defroster, and in the
summer it
was down for dash-A/C.

>... the ABS was for sure not working. Im guessing
>the  ABS pump isnt working, but shouldn't that throw the ABS light on?

I've not had any trouble with ABS, so I don't know its trouble symptoms.

>Im also kinda curious if there are any colorado members....all you guys  seem
>to be on the east cost....

I'm from central California...there is a bunch of us out here, and in the
Seattle/Portland area, too.

George