[Shotimes] Convention Travels .. A/C Questions......???

To: "shotimes@autox.team.net" <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shotimes] Convention Travels .. A/C Questions......???
From: "George Fourchy" <krazgeo@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:12:06 -0700
I'm sending this to SHOTimes for Alan....his emailing ability is limited while
on
the road.

George

Having left a day later than originally planned, due to last-minute brake
repairs,
Diane and I have been forced to making 800 mile days to reach Memphis by
Monday. We
left Saturday morning at about 6am in our '95 ATX and were doing well until
reaching
Barstow, CA, whereupon the AC threw in the towel as we stopped for lunch at
Burger
King. Upon departure, the outside temp sensor on the car indicated 123 degrees
(!).
I figured that this temp reading was due to heat soak, but subsequent readings
on
the highway showed we were consistently running at over 120 degrees. Not good.
Water
temp gage was also reading at the "O" to "R" level, despite new radiator,
hoses,
and cap.

I asked Diane if she wanted to turn back - she responded with a resounding NO,
bless
her. We got through the day by pouring water over our heads and drinking plenty
of
ice water. About 6pm the weather finally moderated as we ran into some cloud
cover
and light sprinkles. We spent the night in Winslow, Arizona, where the room was
thankfully cool.

This morning (Sunday), we bought some small spray bottles at Walmart which we
filled
with water to spritz ourselves, which helped quite a bit.  We've concluded that
the
upper limit of comfort for traveling this way is about 95 degrees, which was
exceeded once we past Albuquergue at mid-day. Thereafter, temps quickly rose to
100
- 105 degrees, and remained there until about 8pm tonight. We entered the
Oklahoma
City area at about 9pm, where it was still 97 degrees. Picked up some quick BBQ
and
headed to the hotel for an eagerly awaited shower and some dinner.

I'm hoping we might get the AC repaired in Memphis if the problem isn't too
extreme.
 When I checked under the hood on Saturday,  after the system went out, I found
the
small AC port next to the radiator cap was hissing as though the system had
over-pressurized and was relieving itself.  I wish I had a clue what this might
mean, but AC work remains a black art to me.

If somebody could post this to SHOtimes for comment on the AC issue I'd
appreciate
it. I'm working off webmail on the wife's iBook here at the hotel and don't
have the
address.

Regards,

   Alan

PS. I'm shooting for a Gold Award in Tuesday's car show, but have some cleanup
to do
before I"m in the running. We'll see... fortunately they don't grade you on a
functioning AC system!  ;-)

Time for bed