Re: [Shotimes] check engine light

To: "shotimes@autox.team.net" <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] check engine light
From: "George Fourchy" <krazgeo@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 17:25:47 -0700
On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 19:47:14 -0400, paralegal1999@aol.com wrote:

>Hi,
>I have a 94' ATX in relatively good shape.  It's been very reliable and all of
>a sudden the check engine light went on.  I checked all the fluids and they
>are good, but I noticed a slight hesitation while accelerating.  It's was as
>if the accelerator was losing power, but it never cut out.  Any ideas?

SHOs from '92 on are considered Generation 2, and have more complex engine
management than Gen 1s like mine, but I know that in general the CE light is
mainly
to monitor pollution control devices and fuel and electrical management.
Fluids and
other non-essential functions are not monitored.

You would need to read the codes that the Powertrain Control Module, or
computer,
has stored, and then go from there.  It is possible to read them yourself,
after you
find the plug under the hood and then connect a couple of connectors in it to
each
other, then turn the key on.

For the best information, go to the SHOTimes website...
http://www.shotimes.com/php-bin/        and check out the instructions there for
checking codes.  In the middle of the home page is a click line called "Care and
Feeding of the SHO".  Click on that, then go to Engine Management, and click on
"3
digit codes".  Here you can see how to do the jumper reading yourself, or at
least
see what the codes mean.  You can also take the car to various places that will
read
the codes for free or for a relatively small fee.

The engine CAN immediately quit altogether from a failure that will turn on the
light, or it can run for a long time with the light on.  It totally depends on
what
is causing it to come on, which you need to find by reading the codes.

Good Luck..

George