shop-talk

Re: [Shop-talk] How to open clearance on a hardened pin?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] How to open clearance on a hardened pin?
From: Al Fuller <alfuller194@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 07:49:54 -0300
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--000000000000ee01cd061465d14e

Well, ok then... BTW, are the bearings and races not in the diagram you
referenced or am I missing something?

________________
Best Regards,
Al Fuller

On Sat, Mar 23, 2024, 11:23 PM Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org> wrote:

> Good thought but I should have specified that I tried inserting the pin
> directly into the bearing race and it exhibited the same issue.
>
> jim
>
> On Mar 23, 2024, at 10:14 PM, Al Fuller <alfuller194@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Jim, I don't know this part/assembly but it seems to me that the original
> engineering would not have required hammering. Added to that one side goes
> in well but not the other, I'm wondering if the bike might have a little
> eccentricity in the fit-up? Is it possible that it was laid down at some
> point in the past and has a little twist in the assembly?
>
> ________________
> Best Regards,
> Al Fuller
>
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2024, 10:17 PM Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm assembling a Moto Guzzi swingarm which attaches to the back of the
>> gearbox. The gearbox has 2 recesses in which live plain roller bearings.
>> The swingarm has threaded holes through which locating pins screw. The tips
>> of the pins are unthreaded and locate into the ID of of the roller
>> bearings. Parts #12 here:
>>
>> https://harpermoto.com/collections/1980-1984-v-50-iii-500-swing-arm
>>
>> The pins are known for being stuck yet mine came out easily, probably
>> because the inner race was able to rest against the swingarm while the pin
>> was being pulled out. Assembly is another matter. The bearings don't bottom
>> out in their recess so the inner race has nothing supporting it when I
>> screw the pins into the swingarm, and one pin is not sliding into the inner
>> race (the other pin fits into both races as it should). I don't want to
>> hammer on it and dent the races. I've sanded it with some 400 grit but I'm
>> pretty sure the pins are hardened and so I haven't made any progress.
>>
>> Any thoughts on how to get this pin to fit in the bearing? Freezing it is
>> not a great option because of the time it takes to get things installed,
>> plus I'll need to do clearance adjustments.
>>
>> thanks,
>> jim

--000000000000ee01cd061465d14e

iv><div data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature">________________<br>Best Regards=
lass=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, Mar 23, 2024, 11:23 PM Jim Franklin &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:jamesf@groupwbench.org";>jamesf@groupwbench.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br=
left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div style=3D"line-break:after-white-=
space">Good thought but I should have specified that I tried inserting the =
pin directly into the bearing race and it exhibited the same issue.=C2=A0<d=
 2024, at 10:14 PM, Al Fuller &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:alfuller194@gmail.com"; =
target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">alfuller194@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:</=
y but it seems to me that the original engineering would not have required =
hammering. Added to that one side goes in well but not the other, I&#39;m w=
ondering if the bike might have a little eccentricity in the fit-up? Is it =
possible that it was laid down at some point in the past and has a little t=
lass=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, Mar 23, =
2024, 10:17 PM Jim Franklin &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jamesf@groupwbench.org"; t=
arget=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">jamesf@groupwbench.org</a>&gt; wrote:<b=
r></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border=
-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I&#39;m assembling a Moto Guzzi swin=
garm which attaches to the back of the gearbox. The gearbox has 2 recesses =
in which live plain roller bearings. The swingarm has threaded holes throug=
h which locating pins screw. The tips of the pins are unthreaded and locate=
 into the ID of of the roller bearings. Parts #12 here:<br>
arm" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://har=
permoto.com/collections/1980-1984-v-50-iii-500-swing-arm</a><br>
The pins are known for being stuck yet mine came out easily, probably becau=
se the inner race was able to rest against the swingarm while the pin was b=
eing pulled out. Assembly is another matter. The bearings don&#39;t bottom =
out in their recess so the inner race has nothing supporting it when I scre=
w the pins into the swingarm, and one pin is not sliding into the inner rac=
e (the other pin fits into both races as it should). I don&#39;t want to ha=
mmer on it and dent the races. I&#39;ve sanded it with some 400 grit but I&=
#39;m pretty sure the pins are hardened and so I haven&#39;t made any progr=
ess.<br>
Any thoughts on how to get this pin to fit in the bearing? Freezing it is n=
ot a great option because of the time it takes to get things installed, plu=
s I&#39;ll need to do clearance adjustments. <br>
thanks,<br>
jim<br>
arget=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
errer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>