shop-talk

Re: [Shop-talk] How to open clearance on a hardened pin?

To: Al Fuller <alfuller194@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] How to open clearance on a hardened pin?
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 22:23:06 -0400
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail=_78E5C42B-4AC1-47D7-A541-184A18B1E845

Good thought but I should have specified that I tried inserting the pin =
directly into the bearing race and it exhibited the same issue.=20

jim

> On Mar 23, 2024, at 10:14 PM, Al Fuller <alfuller194@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> Jim, I don't know this part/assembly but it seems to me that the =
original engineering would not have required hammering. Added to that =
one side goes in well but not the other, I'm wondering if the bike might =
have a little eccentricity in the fit-up? Is it possible that it was =
laid down at some point in the past and has a little twist in the =
assembly?
>=20
> ________________
> Best Regards,
> Al Fuller
>=20
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2024, 10:17 PM Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org =
>> I'm assembling a Moto Guzzi swingarm which attaches to the back of =
the gearbox. The gearbox has 2 recesses in which live plain roller =
bearings. The swingarm has threaded holes through which locating pins =
screw. The tips of the pins are unthreaded and locate into the ID of of =
the roller bearings. Parts #12 here:
>>=20
>> https://harpermoto.com/collections/1980-1984-v-50-iii-500-swing-arm
>>=20
>> The pins are known for being stuck yet mine came out easily, probably =
because the inner race was able to rest against the swingarm while the =
pin was being pulled out. Assembly is another matter. The bearings don't =
bottom out in their recess so the inner race has nothing supporting it =
when I screw the pins into the swingarm, and one pin is not sliding into =
the inner race (the other pin fits into both races as it should). I =
don't want to hammer on it and dent the races. I've sanded it with some =
400 grit but I'm pretty sure the pins are hardened and so I haven't made =
any progress.
>>=20
>> Any thoughts on how to get this pin to fit in the bearing? Freezing =
it is not a great option because of the time it takes to get things =
installed, plus I'll need to do clearance adjustments.=20
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/alfuller194@gmail.com
>>=20

--Apple-Mail=_78E5C42B-4AC1-47D7-A541-184A18B1E845

charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"overflow-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;">Good thought =
but I should have specified that I tried inserting the pin directly into =
the bearing race and it exhibited the same =
type=3D"cite"><div>On Mar 23, 2024, at 10:14 PM, Al Fuller =
&lt;alfuller194@gmail.com&gt; wrote:</div><br =
don't know this part/assembly but it seems to me that the original =
engineering would not have required hammering. Added to that one side =
goes in well but not the other, I'm wondering if the bike might have a =
little eccentricity in the fit-up? Is it possible that it was laid down =
at some point in the past and has a little twist in the =
data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature">________________<br>Best =
dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, Mar 23, 2024, 10:17 PM Jim =
Franklin &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:jamesf@groupwbench.org";>jamesf@groupwbench.org</a>&gt; =
wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 =
.8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I'm assembling a Moto =
#12 here:<br>
<a =
href=3D"https://harpermoto.com/collections/1980-1984-v-50-iii-500-swing-ar=
m" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" =
target=3D"_blank">https://harpermoto.com/collections/1980-1984-v-50-iii-50=
0-swing-arm</a><br>
The pins are known for being stuck yet mine came out easily, probably =
because the inner race was able to rest against the swingarm while the =
pin was being pulled out. Assembly is another matter. The bearings don't =
bottom out in their recess so the inner race has nothing supporting it =
when I screw the pins into the swingarm, and one pin is not sliding into =
the inner race (the other pin fits into both races as it should). I =
don't want to hammer on it and dent the races. I've sanded it with some =
400 grit but I'm pretty sure the pins are hardened and so I haven't made =
any progress.<br>
Any thoughts on how to get this pin to fit in the bearing? Freezing it =
is not a great option because of the time it takes to get things =
installed, plus I'll need to do clearance adjustments. <br>
thanks,<br>
jim<br>
rel=3D"noreferrer">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; =
rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" =
target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/alfuller194@gmail.=
com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" =
target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/alfuller=
194@gmail.com</a><br>

--Apple-Mail=_78E5C42B-4AC1-47D7-A541-184A18B1E845--

--===============3697662375341334387==

Shop-talk@autox.team.net

--===============3697662375341334387==--