shop-talk

Re: [Shop-talk] How to open clearance on a hardened pin?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] How to open clearance on a hardened pin?
From: Al Fuller <alfuller194@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 23:14:44 -0300
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--0000000000009a6dba06145e9f9e

Jim, I don't know this part/assembly but it seems to me that the original
engineering would not have required hammering. Added to that one side goes
in well but not the other, I'm wondering if the bike might have a little
eccentricity in the fit-up? Is it possible that it was laid down at some
point in the past and has a little twist in the assembly?

________________
Best Regards,
Al Fuller

On Sat, Mar 23, 2024, 10:17 PM Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org> wrote:

> I'm assembling a Moto Guzzi swingarm which attaches to the back of the
> gearbox. The gearbox has 2 recesses in which live plain roller bearings.
> The swingarm has threaded holes through which locating pins screw. The tips
> of the pins are unthreaded and locate into the ID of of the roller
> bearings. Parts #12 here:
>
> https://harpermoto.com/collections/1980-1984-v-50-iii-500-swing-arm
>
> The pins are known for being stuck yet mine came out easily, probably
> because the inner race was able to rest against the swingarm while the pin
> was being pulled out. Assembly is another matter. The bearings don't bottom
> out in their recess so the inner race has nothing supporting it when I
> screw the pins into the swingarm, and one pin is not sliding into the inner
> race (the other pin fits into both races as it should). I don't want to
> hammer on it and dent the races. I've sanded it with some 400 grit but I'm
> pretty sure the pins are hardened and so I haven't made any progress.
>
> Any thoughts on how to get this pin to fit in the bearing? Freezing it is
> not a great option because of the time it takes to get things installed,
> plus I'll need to do clearance adjustments.
>
> thanks,
> jim

--0000000000009a6dba06145e9f9e

s to me that the original engineering would not have required hammering. Ad=
ded to that one side goes in well but not the other, I&#39;m wondering if t=
he bike might have a little eccentricity in the fit-up? Is it possible that=
 it was laid down at some point in the past and has a little twist in the a=
_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, Mar 23, 2024, 10:17 P=
M Jim Franklin &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jamesf@groupwbench.org";>jamesf@groupwb=
"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I&#39;m ass=
embling a Moto Guzzi swingarm which attaches to the back of the gearbox. Th=
e gearbox has 2 recesses in which live plain roller bearings. The swingarm =
has threaded holes through which locating pins screw. The tips of the pins =
are unthreaded and locate into the ID of of the roller bearings. Parts #12 =
here:<br>
arm" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://harpermoto.com=
/collections/1980-1984-v-50-iii-500-swing-arm</a><br>
The pins are known for being stuck yet mine came out easily, probably becau=
se the inner race was able to rest against the swingarm while the pin was b=
eing pulled out. Assembly is another matter. The bearings don&#39;t bottom =
out in their recess so the inner race has nothing supporting it when I scre=
w the pins into the swingarm, and one pin is not sliding into the inner rac=
e (the other pin fits into both races as it should). I don&#39;t want to ha=
mmer on it and dent the races. I&#39;ve sanded it with some 400 grit but I&=
#39;m pretty sure the pins are hardened and so I haven&#39;t made any progr=
ess.<br>
Any thoughts on how to get this pin to fit in the bearing? Freezing it is n=
ot a great option because of the time it takes to get things installed, plu=
s I&#39;ll need to do clearance adjustments. <br>
thanks,<br>
jim<br>
rrer">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>