shop-talk

Re: [Shop-talk] Makita Ni-Cd Batteries

To: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Makita Ni-Cd Batteries
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 16:54:47 -0500
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--0000000000004e5ab806119ae972

I've looked around to see how this one comes apart and I can't see an easy
way.  I found a battery "repair kit" that costs as much as a "rebuilt"
battery, or an aftermarket one.

It's a shame, because this is a good solid tool, and I hate to just recycle
it.  I'll probably put it on Nextdoor and see if someone else wants to mess
with it.

On Sat, Feb 17, 2024, 14:28 Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net> wrote:

> The older battery powered drills have batteries that can be disassembled
> and reassembled without damaging them so that you can rebuild with new
> cells. I have done just that with one of my favorite Craftsman drills.
> Often there are higher capacity batteries available enabling the build of
> longer lasting batteries at the expense of longer charge times and upgrad=
es
> from Nicad to NiMH. Onlybatteries.com is my go to choice for materials.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Feb 17, 2024, at 12:49=E2=80=AFPM, Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.=
com>
> wrote:
> >
> > =EF=BB=BF
> > Another question for the folks who can't throw anything away...
> >
> > I have an old Makita 6201D drill motor with 9V 9101 batteries.  Must be
> over 30 years old.  One of the batteries finally stopped taking a charge,
> and the other one charges but won't hold a charge very long - always need=
> a charge before use.
> >
> > I can spend $35 on a pair of new batteries, or I can spend $35 on a
> Ryobi One+ 3/8 drill kit with battery that fits all my other Ryobi tools.
> >
> > Someone please tell me I'm overthinking this, and suggest a way to find
> a proper home or resting place for my old Maktita workhorse.
> >
> > Jeff the S
> > Corrosion Acres, Ga.
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/james.f.juhas@snet.net

--0000000000004e5ab806119ae972

d I can&#39;t see an easy way.=C2=A0 I found a battery &quot;repair kit&quo=
t; that costs as much as a &quot;rebuilt&quot; battery, or an aftermarket o=
me, because this is a good solid tool, and I hate to just recycle it.=C2=A0=
 I&#39;ll probably put it on Nextdoor and see if someone else wants to mess=
"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, Feb 17, 2024, 14:28 Jim Juhas &lt;<a hre=
f=3D"mailto:james.f.juhas@snet.net";>james.f.juhas@snet.net</a>&gt; wrote:<b=
r></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border=
-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">The older battery powered drills hav=
e batteries that can be disassembled and reassembled without damaging them =
so that you can rebuild with new cells. I have done just that with one of m=
y favorite Craftsman drills. Often there are higher capacity batteries avai=
lable enabling the build of longer lasting batteries at the expense of long=
er charge times and upgrades from Nicad to NiMH. Onlybatteries.com is my go=
 to choice for materials.<br>
Sent from my iPhone<br>
&gt; On Feb 17, 2024, at 12:49=E2=80=AFPM, Jeff Scarbrough &lt;<a href=3D"m=
ailto:fishplate@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">fishplate@g=
mail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; =EF=BB=BF<br>
&gt; Another question for the folks who can&#39;t throw anything away...<br=

&gt; <br>
&gt; I have an old Makita 6201D drill motor with 9V 9101 batteries.=C2=A0 M=
ust be over 30 years old.=C2=A0 One of the batteries finally stopped taking=
 a charge, and the other one charges but won&#39;t hold a charge very long =
- always needs a charge before use.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I can spend $35 on a pair of new batteries, or I can spend $35 on a Ry=
obi One+ 3/8 drill kit with battery that fits all my other Ryobi tools.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Someone please tell me I&#39;m overthinking this, and suggest a way to=
 find a proper home or resting place for my old Maktita workhorse.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Jeff the S<br>
&gt; Corrosion Acres, Ga.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"n=
oreferrer">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer =
noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.96<br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"no=
referrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-t=
alk</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>