Re: [oletrucks] 55 chevy truck overheating problem

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 55 chevy truck overheating problem
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:25:42 -0700
> Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:03:04 -0600
> From: "mark treutelaar" <phoneman@ticon.net>
> Subject: [oletrucks] 55 chevy truck overheating problem
>
> Hi I have a problem that maybe someone here can help me with.I have a 235
> engine . My engine temp gauge goes fro cold to hot after about 10 minutes . It
> doesnt gradualy do this . It jumps to hot and nowhere in between. The radiator
> is full. Ive replaced the thermostat and sending unit and I dont think its the
> waterpump. The radiator doesnt overheat or overflow . Im wondering if it could
> have a bad guage because it reads hot all the way or cold all the way and not
> in betwwen . You would think if the guage was shot it woul not read hot . When
> you shut the engine off it reads cold after it starts again and then in a few
> minutes or more -goes directly to hot  Any ideas or suggestions ? Anyone else
> have this problem ? Thanks again Mark

-assuming it's a second series 55 truck-

As far as I know, the 55 trucks originally came with a mechanical
(bourdon tube) gage, not an electric gage.  If it has the 56-59 electric
gage installed, then it needs the correct sending unit, which is for a
gage (not an idiot light), and it needs the gage connected properly and
in working condition.  The connection near the "cold" side of the gage
is to the ignition switch (+12v when ignition on), originally a pink
wire, and the connection towards the "hot" side of the gage is to the
sending unit, originally a dark green wire.  The gage cluster must be
properly grounded also (sometimes paint or missing screws prevents a
good ground).

If you are handy with electrical stuff and have an ohm meter handy,
check the resistance across the sending unit when it's hot and cold.
There should be some resistance, not a full short or a full open.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
http://www.mindspring.com/~jforbes2