[oletrucks] electrical problem

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] electrical problem
From: SHAWN & JO <YOOPERWANNABE@PRODIGY.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 22:33:10 -0400
All right guys I need help from you electrical geniuses out there...
        Here's the thing, on my 81 chevy truck, I cant get my turn signals to
work..
        1. Turn signals seem to havr power because brake lights do not work if
turn signal switch is on.
        2. I have replaced the fuse with a new heavy duty version and nothng...
Tried two seperate fuses.
        3. All various and asundry lights work with switch on or off.
        4. No dash turn signal indicators at all.
        5 Hasve tested the two flashers fuses that I have with an ohm meter
(but I don't know how to use it, really only the vaugest notion) One
tests at .050 and the other at .019.
        6. Brake fuse was burnt out and replaced at same time, all other fuses
checked and all were good.

        The chiltons manual gives me no real leads into what ma be wrong, just
the basic replace the fuse bit. I have only the foggiest notion of how
an ohm meter works but I'm usually quick on the up-take if someone wants
to give me a brief lesson on how to check a wire for shorts and to
locate the short on a long run so I dont haveto replace the entire wire.
        I only worked on it for two hours and you wouldn't believe the amount
of wiring in this truck, Think 4 truck wiring looms added together. Its
an old ambulance with enough wiring to rewire a house with.
        Any tips, suggestions, etc would be TRULY welcome to this novice
electrician......
Shawn
51 panel