Re: [oletrucks] valve adjustment

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] valve adjustment
From: rjj0msj@ix.netcom.com (Rob, Margie, Nick & Andrea)
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 02:49:03 GMT
On Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:40:04 EST, you wrote:

>Since I have been working at a motorcycle/jetski shop, we have always done
>valve adjustments on cold engines.  Reason being that all metals expand at
>different rates, and the truest readings come from the engine/valves being
>cold.  IMHO

Seems though that that is all the more reason to do it hot.  Granted, when you
first start the engine, it will be at optimum, but then when hot, you may have
some valves right on, whereas others may be way off.  And most driving is done
with a hot engine.  IMHO adjust the valves hot.  I have done mine both running
and simply hot.  The cool tappet adjusting tool I got on ebay sure made doing
them while engine was running, much easier.  Anyone in the Kitsap area is
welcome to borrow it.

Rob