Re: [oletrucks] valve adjustment

To: tcape@weblnk.net, oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] valve adjustment
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:26:29 EST
In a message dated 3/24/99 11:58:15 AM Pacific Standard Time, tcape@weblnk.net
writes:

<< One additional question on adjusting valves.  Does the engine have to be
 running?  I have been told 'yes' by one person and 'no' by another.  TIA
 Tom Caperton
 '47 2nd 3100 >>

  My feeling is as follow's:

  The spec's are called out for warmed up motor, with like 30-45 minutes of
fast idle running to "normalize" expansion of metal parts.

  Spec's for my '59 are .006 and .018 if I recall.  Now with such small
spec's, especially on the intake (.006), and taking into account the time that
if I shut off the motor, adjusted a valve, rotated the motor again, etc, until
completion, the latest valves checked/adjusted would be cooler than the first
valves adusted.

  This, IMHO, would lead me to believe that not all the valves would be set at
the same tolerances.  As we know, heat expands metal parts, then as they cool,
they will contract.

  As I stated before, I do it with the engine running, others do it (they may
be quicker than myself) with the engine stopped, but I don't know how the
results are.  My valves don't click or clatter, so I'll stick with the way i
do it.

  One other thing to note, once your valves are set, not all will require
adjustment each time you service them, maybe only one or two need adjustment,
but all should be checked (which is easier/quicker to do with the motor
running).

  Mike