newsletters

RE: Printers used for newsletters

To: newsletters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Printers used for newsletters
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 18:37:07 -0400
At 10:15 AM 7/28/98 -0400, Bob Lang wrote:

>I agree with the sentiment of your reply (scanning above 150 DPI is a
>waste of space), but you need to scan halftones at very high res or it's
>a waste of time. As an example, I've tried halftone scanning at 300 DPI
>(the default resolution of my scanner) and the results are very poor
>indeed. These pictures were the equiv. of the "blobs" referred to in an
>earlier posting.
>
>I have yet to bring my pictures to a service beaureau (sp?) to get them
>halftone scanned as suggested in another posting, but I will def. try
>this in the near future. The principle reason  that I have not done this
>in the past is that I'm always about a week behind deadline... it's not
>like doing the newsletter is the only activity that I engage in.... yadda
>yadda yadda.

I've been monitoring this thread and haven't jumped in yet.  I don't
know how big of a newsletter you are trying to print,  or what you
budget is.

I'm the editor for The Brickline, a quarterly publication of Bricklin
International.  Our magazine runs 24 page each issue with a printing of
about 500 copies.  We have a full color front and back cover and B&W
pictures inside.  I also send the magazine to a printer in Ca (I live
in Va.)

I scan all the pictures that are included in the magazine and size them
and position them on the page.  I send my printer a high quality print
out of the magazine, and a ZIP disk contain the magazine (I and the
printer use Page Maker 6), and all the pictures (usually 3x5 color) that
I have used in an issue.  He inturn does his magic with the original photos
and inserts them into the magazine.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten a price breakdown for what he does, but
I've been told it is about $10 per picture.

Our club is a National club with about 360 members and the budget for the
magazine is about $2,500 per issue.

Don't know if this helps or not.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V