newsletters

Re: Comments requested

To: newsletters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Comments requested
From: walter@roadster.sps.mot.com (thomas walter x5955)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 96 14:41:47 CST

> > > ivr_one.ps        The text only, does not include the two photos.  Only
>70K.
>
> Well, it's not plain ascii text.  That's the way I'd want it.  I can't
> read this file.

Uh, with the *.ps extension, to me it was clear that it was a post script
file of just the text (ie. something like 70K in size, not the 1.1Meg
version with photos).

Since Mark used Post Script I assume he has a Mac?   I had a share
ware program, on my 286, to print *.ps files on my HP 3p printer
at home. Seemed to take one page about 20 minutes... ugh. Tossed
it, and just print *.ps files at work.

Exchanging data has always been a pain. ;-(

Within my work place we've settled on:  *.ps (postscript);  Word (5a);
Excel (4??); and *.pdf (Acrobat files, which are similiar to a Postscript...
but you can download the readers for free from Adobe).

Sigh, noticed some errata sheets on one server... and they were all *.dp
(ditigal page). Yep.

One reason I went to using Word for Win95 on the home machine was to
save text in different formats.

Reason I mention this, it will never fail what ever system you have,
and regardless how many convertor programs you have, when it approaches
a deadline to put out a newsletter... a fellow club member will drop of
that "text" file off on something like a 8" CPM floppy.... hey, what else
would go with vintage cars but a vintage computer!

Cheers,

Tom "I'll never hand over my CURTA" Walter
Austin, TX.

Sun Sparc (Unix) Sparc 10
Mac IIfx also at work
HP 486 system at home
and *.txt means different things to each. ;-)