Re: steel wheels for pickup

To: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: steel wheels for pickup
From: rfeibusch1@earthlink.net (Richard Feibusch)
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 19:42:05 -0800
>        I also seem to recall that the Vega lug holes are larger than
>the Minor studs and this causes a lug nut fit problem.  Rick, how did
>you solve this in the past?
>
>        Just my 2 cents worth.
>Dave Kernberger

Dave and all,
Unless the Vega rim lug holes are ground out by too many high pressure
pneumatic bolt instalations the Minor lug nuts fit fine - I've seen larger
diameter lug bolts and bigger nuts used but never had to myself. The best
wheels to use are the 600CWT 4.5" wheels that came fitted to the heavier duty
commercials that were not ever imported to the States. They also used these on
factory rallye cars. A 165X14 is correct but still looks big when one is used
to them little 145s that the purists seem to think look "right.". It works sort
of like this: 500X14 = 145X14, 5:20-5:60X14 = 155X14, 5:60-5:90 = 165X14.

My only complaint with Vega wheels is that they are a bit heavy but because the
wheels are smaller and the tyres are bigger, they ride nice.

Best,

Rick