Re: steel wheels for pickup

To: Morris <morris@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: steel wheels for pickup
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 17:54:47 -0800
To all,

        I have no experience with '67 Minors or Trucks, but let the
record show that '59-'61 cars AND trucks BOTH have rims only 3.00"
wide.  That's right!  I just re-measured some I have to be sure of my
recollection.  Could the stock wheels really have been widened by 1
1/2 inches by 1967???  This is news to me, if it is true.  A 4.5"
width would be MUCH better than 3.00"  The original '59-'61 tires
were 5.20-14 and the very early cars used 5.00-14, if memory serves
me correctly.  Years ago I found that Michelin 155 SR 14X or 165 SR
14X, or ZX, both worked very well but, of course neither has been
available for years.  I am currently using some 165 X 14s (brand
unremembered) which seem to work OK, but do look a bit oversize.

        I also have a set of 4 Chevy Vega (5.5 X 13) wheels with the
center holes already enlarged that I could be talked out of very
reasonably.  That includes some tires and "Baby Moon" hubcaps.  Not
sure how good the tires are.

        I have often pondered the possibility of using Minor centers
with wider 14" rims acquired from some other wheels, perhaps even
MGB, though they are only 4.5" wide.  Has anybody out there ever done
this?  I have no idea how difficult or expensive that route might be.

        I also seem to recall that the Vega lug holes are larger than
the Minor studs and this causes a lug nut fit problem.  Rick, how did
you solve this in the past?

        Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave Kernberger