Re: 1500cc Transplant?

To: "William Langdell" <w.langdell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: 1500cc Transplant?
From: rfeibusch1@earthlink.net (Richard Feibusch)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:56:45 -0700
Bill,
There are few swaps that are worth the work - The Datsun 12/13/14/1500
engine was the first engine that was built by Nissan that did not use and
BMC licenses, but its design was based on the A Series engine so everything
is pretty much in the right place and there have been kits developed to
ease the instalation. I have seen other swaps but all, except the Toyota
12/1300 tilted four used in early Corollas and a few Starlets that were
brought here in the early 1980s will fit as well but everything is in the
wrong place and requires more plumbing. Grant Wood at Cars With Class took
a Toyris Tourer in on trade a few years ago and likes it so much that he
has used it as a shop parts runner since and has vowed to never sell it -
everything else is stock including brakes and it runs much like a stocker
with an 1100. B series can be done but they sit too low and weigh more than
a Buick/Rover 3.5 liter V8!!!

My friend Peter at Marina Motors in Venice recently installed a Spitfidget
1500/trans in a 1959 Hillman convertible and it went in without cutting but
it is not much faster or better ratios than the old Hillman 1500 except
parts are easier to get - soon the smoger carb will be replaced with some
twin SUs and a few other mods might wake it up a bit - but it did make a
car that was constantly waiting for parts considerably  more drivable.

Given a choice, my personal favorite would be a well tuned, single SU
carbed 1100/Datsun 5-speed with a 4:22 diff and 13" wheels with 185/70X13
radials on Chevy Vega or BMW 320i alloy "turbines." Stick with 145/155X14s
if you choose to use stock wheels - Don't forget the electronic ignition
conversion. Back this up with the bigger 1967 Minor or Riley 1.5 drum
brakes and you got an almost factory car that can keep up with US traffic.

Cheers,

Rick Feibusch