Glove box, plus manual trans rebuild possibilities

To: <morris@autox.team.net>, <BillSvale@aol.com>
Subject: Glove box, plus manual trans rebuild possibilities
From: "Phil E G Plumbe" <plumby@alphalink.com.au>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 20:30:03 +1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)
Bill: the original glove-box liner has two "speed-nut" type fittings crimped
into the cardboard, but there is space below the bottom edge of the
dash/hinges to fit new ones, on the bottom or outside of the new (plastic?)
liners you have.

Mountings were therefore at the hinge points, with a half-hinge-shaped
packing-piece for each hinge to protect the paint. At the back, there was a
simple Z shaped metal bracet supporting the rear edge of each liner.

Contact me direct if you need scans to show the sizes of the actual pieces,
as they'd be really easy to make up!

You make me envious with all these Midget gearboxes available: not so here,
but LOTS of old smoothcase gearboxes. Could you not get the front
cover-plate that you need from UK gearbox rebuilders far more cheaply? (or
from one I know here in Melbourne?). If you don't value originality, a
conversion kit and a Toyota 5 speed is the way to go here.

Phil Plumbe
Surrey Hills,
Melbourne, Australia
plumby@alphalink.com.au