Re: +4 Starters

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>, <edherman@concentric.net>,
Subject: Re: +4 Starters
From: "Greg Solow" <Gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 18:30:34 -0700
Your starter has a "bonded" rubber drive that connects the drive gear on the
starter to the shaft.  The rubber inside the coupling comes unbonded from
its housing and basically "slips".  I have temporarily repaired them by
taking them apart and reglueing them together with "superglue" type anerobic
adhesive.  This "temporary repair has actually lasted many years.  There is
a replacement drive available for around  $100. 00 that is a good permenant
fix. I have seen brain dead electrical rebuilders weld this drive up solid
in an attempt to fix it.  This doesn't work as the stater needs the
cushioning that the rubber provides.  Without this cushioning effect, the
teeth of the ring gears get sheared off when you try to start the car.

Regards, Greg      Solow