MOG-America (was ConMogCon)

Subject: MOG-America (was ConMogCon)
From: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 17:20:27 -0600
Hey Gang,

Sorry that my proposal for an all inclusive Morgan "superclub" in North
America has already become the locus for ill-feeling and anger. Frankly,
before posting my messages I had never even considered that possibility.

It is my confident belief that such a club could be formed without loss of
status or comfort to anyone. I believe there are good and sufficient reasons
to form the group and that, because of the existence of the internet, it is
for the first time a reasonable proposition.

While I don't want to rehash a bunch of things I have already said I want to
state again that the formation of this club must be done as an enhancement to
the existing local and regional clubs. With the governing structure I
described previously, the existing clubs will have a full say in the
development and operation of the superclub. While annual dues paid to the
"chapters" will be decreased, so will their expenses. In addition, some of the
most onerous duties faced by the local clubs will be taken over by the
superclub.

I believe that the superclub is a way for local clubs to remain relevant and
to actually grow that are otherwise likely to find themselves becoming relics.

Any of us who have been active in any clubs--not just car clubs, let alone
single-marque clubs--have seen many of the problems Fred K. discusses so
bitterly. Are the problems real? Yes. Are the problems inevitable? No. At
least they are not inevitable on a scale that should have any impact on the
superclub.

Oh, sure, there are going to be jerks and whiners and shirkers and slackers in
the "big club" but so what? When they surface they'll have to be dealt with or
ignored as seems appropriate, just as they are dealt with or ignored in the
local clubs and--dare I say it?--on this list.

When the burdens of leading the club become too heavy, leaders will step aside
and sit on their hands for a year or two until they, hopefully, return to work
again. Certainly, some members will become angry as well as disenchanted and
will drop out. That's unfortunate, but so what? The club will continue as long
as it serves a purpose for the membership.

I don't think there is any basis for believing that the superclub would or
even could have a negative impact on this list. I can only see positives. One
probable benefit is increased membership on this list. As net-challenged
superclub members become aware of the power and accessibility of the net they
will buy hardware and climb on board.

So far as I can see, Board members chosen by the local clubs to serve on the
superclub will have to be netters (though not necessarily listers) because
that is how the day-to-day business of the club will have to be transacted.

One of Fred K's most telling arguments is his discussion of Regionalism. That,
I grant you, is a major concern. I believe that the benefits to the regional
club membership are so great that regionalism will be overcome.

To reemphasize: The local clubs, by becoming superclub chapters, will continue
to hold their own treasury funds, will retain all their local officers if they
wish, will no longer have to bludgeon someone into editing their newsletter,
will continue to have all their local events, will gain the opportunity to
attend and host a superclub Convention and Concours, will gain membership,
will gain access to better technical info, will gain immensely increased power
to obtain better insurance rates, better parts availability and so forth.

Someone also questioned if the regional clubs would support a superclub
convention or would view it as competition. I can only say that ALL Morgan
owners would benefit from an annual convention as it would cause the regional
chapters to coordinate their calendars for the local shows and everybody would
have a better chance of attending the shows of their choice. I want people to
"continue to go to Stowe, or Watkins Glen or wherever"... I just want them to
have the opportunity to attend a real North American Morgan Convention once in
awhile, too.

Certainly, if one chapter or region were allowed to dominate the convention
calendar it would be very destructive. That is why I have emphasized that the
convention needs to be rotated among different venues. Not just different
cities but different regions so that everyone has a reasonable opportunity to
attend at least some of the events.

Does that mean that a superclub convention in Calgary will be as well attended
as one in Los Angeles? No, probably not. But it does mean that Calgary will
have a fair shot at developing itself into the Morgan Convention Capital of
North America!

(And, please, no flames that I am picking on Calgary... Just substitute
"Minot" in there and read it again...)

I confess that I, like most of you, am waiting anxiously for an update from
Jeremy on the goings on in Blighty but I fail to see the relevance of that
situation to this dialogue.

For the record, I do not foresee any time when it will be necessary to pay
board members of the superclub either a salary or an honorarium. I do expect
the club to reimburse Board members for some reasonable expenses and I believe
that some paid professional help will be needed to handle the mag and possibly
bookkeeping chores. Hopefully these services will be obtainable from Morgan
enthusiasts for something less than "normal" rates.

That's it for now...

Cheers!

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA

PS-------

Fred K.... I note that you wish to nominate Ed D. for President. Since the
President, under the structure I have been discussing, is chosen by the Board
of Directors (which is selected by the Chapters) I take it that you are
actually volunteering to serve on the ad hoc Board so you can nominate Ed for
ad hoc president. You volunteering is accepted! Welcome to the Board! Welcome
aboard! You are not alone....

Ed D..... Fred K. has nominated you for President. So that you can answer the
nomination you will need to be on the Board. You are accepted! Welcome to the
Board!

Now we're on the move!