Grinding Gears

To: "Morgan List" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Grinding Gears
From: "Ross Jones" <rossjones@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 16:00:48 -0400
My 1987 4/4 had 5,000 miles on it when I got it in March. I have put 4,000
miles on it since then. I have changed the oil, lubed, and done all the
maintenance required (I think).

Ever since I got the car, when shifting into reverse, the gears sometimes
grind with a horrible sound. It seems to happen if the car is not sitting in
a level position. Everyday I back out of my garage without this noise or
problem.

In addition, the same sound comes at a traffic light pulling off in first (I
let the clutch out and leave it in neutral at stop lights). A real hard push
to second gear and back to first usually gets it into in gear without any
noise.

Is this a sign of something going wrong, (like the clutch) or just normal
for the Morgan gear box?

Thanks for any advice.