Re: RE: The differences between....

To: vandergraaft@aecl.ca, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: RE: The differences between....
From: CobMeister <CobMeister@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 12:00:24 EST
Hey Chuck,

<<The early +4's had Standard Vanguard engines,>>

Right you are... I blame it on the fact that I was oversimplifying for JD. It
is interesting to note that the SV engine in your car was actually of larger
displacement than the later  TR2 and TR3 engines.

Some time ago I sent the Plus 4 engine applications to JD.  Here they are
again:

1950-53 - 2088cc Standard Vangard (some sources say this engine was fitted to
some later "High Cowl" Plus 4's.)
1953-57 - 1991cc TR2 (first 100 mph production Morgan)
1955-64 - 1991cc TR3
1961-69 - 2138cc TR4
1985-87 - 1995cc FIAT
1988-92 - 1994cc Rover M16
1992----   1994cc Rover T16

You will, of course, note that some of the applications overlapped.

The Plus 4 was out of production for about 15 years.

The 4/4 situation is considerably more confusable than the Plus 4.  The very
first 4/4's back in 1936 used a Coventry Climax engines of a huge 1122cc
displacement. In 1939 the 4/4 switched to a Standard engine, but it was not
the Vanguard as in your Plus 4... It was the Standard "Special" of only 1267cc
displacement. Then there was a ton of Ford engines, ranging all the way from
the venerable 100E (a great Three-Wheeler engine) to the Zeta which I think is
still in use. The Zeta was less than 1800cc's. A Fiat engine was used for a
few years in the early 80's, about '81-'85.

So, anyway, the real question is: How does your Vanguard run?  Is it the
original displacement? Do you have a photo posted on the web?

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA