Re: folding windshield and mirrors

To: Steve Moore <steve.moore@cnetns.tcp.csiro.au>
Subject: Re: folding windshield and mirrors
From: Gary Kneisley <kneisley@ohio.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 11:54:58 -0500
At 02:12 PM 3/23/98 +1000, you wrote:
>Gary,
>
>The "L shaped" tab with the hole in it was for the post over which the
>"lift the dot" tab on the tonneau attached. Nothing to do with the mirror.
>
>The door mounted mirrors on the later cars to Bl...y terrible in my
>opinion. They also tend to corrode rather quickly. I am playing about with
>some motor cycle mirrors at the moment, which involves making a bracket to
>attach to the two bolts attaching the windscreen post to the casting on the
>body. Sounds simple but needs some thought so that side screens etc dont
>interfer.
>
>Cheers
>
>Steve Moore

Thanks Steve, for the information.  Yep, you are right, the outside mirrors
are awful.  Both of mine stripped out and would not maintain adjustment.  I
even poured rubber cement down the tube to give it some support... but
vibration ruled.

I finally bought two new ones from Cantab ($75.00 ea) which fit around the
side screens and only had to drill one hold in each door.  They have a much
better lock down with a set screw to hold adjustment.

I guess next will be a scuttle mounted middle mirror.  Wonder how much
that'll be.   Oh well, it beats paying dockage for a boat, which everyone
else around here has.

Regards,

Gary