Re: back seat on roadsters

To: Jane McDaid <Murphys@ziplink.net>
Subject: Re: back seat on roadsters
From: Arlin Robins <arlin@slip.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 15:05:05 -0800
Jane McDaid wrote:

> At 06:41 AM 11/11/97 -0600, Stephen F. Bauserman wrote:
> >Seriously, after TexMog, I went back to Houston and have updated you back
> >seat concept for the "little" red 4/4.  The biggest difference is the floor
> >of the boot can not be lowered but maybe one inch.  I did not see that as
> >worth the effort.
>
> In a four seater, there's a sheet metal hump in the center of the rear seat
> bottom to allow clearance for the diff and to allow the seat to be set
> lower in the car. This concept would probably be a good idea to incorporate
> into the revision of the back of a roadster. The seat cushion is also
> tailored to hide the hump in that there's no padding in the middle.
>
> On the other hand, maybe the metal part is to prevent the diff from
> smashing the plywood when you really bottom out hard!
>
> I'm thinking of building a small locking storage bin under the rear deck,
> right behind the driver's seat. This would probably be accessed through the
> bulkhead rather than from the top, just to make it less obvious. This will
> no doubt greatly enhance my within the bodyshell luggage capacity. Anybody
> tried this yet?
>
> Just back from a terrific fall drive around the Boston suburbs with my
> daughter in my Plus 4. temp high 40's. What's all this talk about texas
> winters?
>
> Jerry Murphy

Jerry,

        At MogWest in July (Cambria, CA), I saw a beautifully crafted folding
"rumble seat" conversion (one-off) on a roadster (+4, I think).

        Although I haven't spoken with the creator/owner since I
saw/photographed the car, I do have his name & address. Without his
permission I don't want to just post the info. But if anyone is
seriously interested, I could put them in touch with him. I'm sure he
would be glad to give details to a fellow fanatic.

        Michael Jhon
        arlin@slip.net