Re: back seat on roadsters

To: sbauserm@actsnet.com
Subject: Re: back seat on roadsters
From: GOTom@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 12:21:37 -0500 (EST)

<<   My  problem is that in a 4/4 the rails that support the shelf are
already at
 the opening in the wheel arch where the axle passes.  Therefore, I do not
 believe I can lower the shelf any.  I understand the 4 seaters have the
 metal insert above the differential, but that is not the question I know I
 can duplicate that.  I suspect I will only net an inch more headroom
 though. >>

Duuuuu!  Actually I remember your problem though I have slept since I first
read about it a few months back.  On my 4 seater, the rear seat cushion brace
is also directly over the wheel well arch.  The front of the seat platform is
about 5" higher than the front seat (most likely a similar set up to a 2
seater).  The side seat brackets slope from the front cross brace (in front
of the rear axle) 22" and ends up at a level below the top of the gas tank.
 The braces for the back rest are back 18" from the front cross brace.  I
think the slope is designed to lower the rear seat passenger's butt and
reduce their head room.  Their head would still be higher than the driver's
head (assuming adults in the rear).  If the platform brackets are more or
less level you could slope them down toward the gas tank.  Although I haven't
seen the top on mine it apears to be some what higher in the back to
accomodate the rear passsengers so I suspect that a child in the rear of a
modified 2 seater with the top up would be a bit cosy.

I could make you a pattern from the 4 seater braces which you could modify to
fit. This might pick up some head room.  Let me know it you want to try it.

Tom