Re: Rack & pinion Steering

To: NOGERA@prodigy.net, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rack & pinion Steering
From: FPS3@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 17:53:03 -0500 (EST)
Bob

I would love to replace the steering box in my '55. If I could afford another
Gemmer- it is the best way to go- feels like R&P and looks right. Soooo nice
and sooooo tight and soooooo percise.

Also you can install a colapsible steering column.

However- I would LOVE to find an inexpensive R&P as money is tighter these
days.

The real problem that I se with an MGB or Morris or Pinto or Jag, etc, etc...
is the problem of bump-steer. (suspension goes straight up & down, short
tye-rod swings in an arc and causes the wheels to turn when the suspension
travels.) The factory Jack Knight box has the take-off in the center for the
tye-rods. This makes for longer tye-rods and lessens the problem.
   I saw a Caddy Cimmeron unit. It has the tye-rod mounts in the center like
the Jack Knight. Maybe other cars do too.

Klunkin around in a series 11 is one thing- but the way we flog the later
cars- I think that a lot of bump-steer would be a real pain.

I am open for ideas though. I wanna do it!

Fred