Water pump for +4

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Water pump for +4
From: apicciotto@wccusd.k12.ca.us (Armando Picciotto)
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 20:48:01 -0700
The water pump bearing on my '63 +4 has barely started to make squeaking
noises.  I have two questions:

1. I know I should replace the pump ASAP, but I would like to wait until
December/January, since I'll have to take the radiator out.  I'll
probably put in about a thousand miles in that time.  Will the bearing
fail suddenly on me or go out gradually?

2. This one is more complicated.  The cause of the failure may be that
the fan pulley is about 1/4 to 1/2" out of alignment with the generator
pulley.  The fan pulley is slightly behind.  Can I use a standard TR3
water pump?  Clarke's shop manual states that "the water pump shaft and
pulley is shortened from the original Standard/Triumph unit by
Morgans."  If this is so, perhaps I should get a pump from..., where???
But if the shaft is shorter, won't this agravate the miss-alignment
problem (remember, the fan pulley is slightly behind)?  Thanks for any
advice.

Armando Picciotto
'63 +4