Re: Water pump for +4

To: apicciotto@wccusd.k12.ca.us, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Water pump for +4
From: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA)
Date: 28 Oct 96
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

Armando, Of all the parts on the TR engine the water pump has always
given me the hardest time re fining a replacement.  seems there are two
types of pumps around . As explained to me  by a water pump rebuilder,
the original pumps had a pressed on pulley while replacement pumps have
a nut on the end of the shafts to hold the pulley on. The bearings for
the original pump are odd sized and not available so the rebuilders turn
the shaft down to accept standard bearings.
I think Clarks got it wrong in that the shaft and pulley are not
shortened by Morgan,  What Morgan did was machine the outside of the
pulley  so they could fit a fan to the pump ( Truiumph mounted the fan
on the crankshaft pulley. Soooooooooo   you can use a Triumph pump but
not the pulley, which is where my problem reared its head, My Morgan
modified pulley was a pressed on pulley while all the pumps I could find
where the type with the nut on the end .
Hope it works out well for you . Be sure to check with  whoever you buy
it from to be sure your pulley is going to work.

> Date: Saturday, 26-Oct-96 11:53 PM
>
> From: Armando Picciotto        \ Internet:    (apicciotto@wccusd.k12.
ca.us
> armando picciottoo))
> To:   Morgans List             \ Internet:    (morgans@autox.team.net)
>
> Subject: Water pump for +4
>
> The water pump bearing on my '63 +4 has barely started to make
squeaking
> noises.  I have two questions:
>
> 1. I know I should replace the pump ASAP, but I would like to wait
until
> December/January, since I'll have to take the radiator out.  I'll
probably put
> in about a thousand miles in that time.  Will the bearing fail
suddenly on me
> or go out gradually?
>
> 2. This one is more complicated.  The cause of the failure may be that
the fan
> pulley is about 1/4 to 1/2" out of alignment with the generator pulley
.  The
> fan pulley is slightly behind.  Can I use a standard TR3 water pump?
Clarke's