Re: clutch slipping

To: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Subject: Re: clutch slipping
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:45:21 -0700
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
6/29/03

James,

        I recall the function of the counterweights on the Long style
pressure plate release arms to be just the opposite of what you suggest
here.  Yet your symptoms seem to confirm your theory.  I have always heard
that the idea is to make it easy to depress the clutch pedal in ordinary
driving, yet still get sufficient holding force for high speed/torque
shifting, at the expense of a much greater pedal force requirement.  I seem
to remember studying one of these plates and it looked to me like the
position of the weights would cause them to work in the way I describe.  So
your problem does not make sense to me.  Be sure you let us know if you
find the cause of your difficulties.  Try revving the engine with the pedal
depressed and trans. in neutral.  If the weights work as I think they
should, you should feel the pedal try to push your foot up as you rev the
engine.  My old '61 F-85 Olds used to behave this way.

        I once had a stock Long style pressure plate explode on a high
speed shift on a mildly souped 215 many years ago.  I figured at the time
that the high pedal force required had something to do with that blowup.
For the record, I have zero experience with HTOB.

        It seems to me that, if the trans. rear leak just started, it could
indeed be from wear on the rear bearing (just inside the rear seal) which
would allow the yoke to move around too much and destroy the seal.  On the
other hand, Mr. Gridley's idea might be closer to the mark.  Also much
easier to try that cure before replacing seal and/or bearing.  Seal is
probably not a big problem to remove once yoke is removed from tailshaft.
Replacing the bearing inside the housing would be a major job I suspec

Regards,
Dave Kernbergert.