clutch slipping

To: "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: clutch slipping
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:59:58 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I have a question concerning the stock clutch in my V8; it is a '63 olds
with T-10.  I have a long style clutch that was unused before me but is
probably 10-15 years old, the pressure plate may be original.  When I am
accelerating, I get clutch slippage above 3k rpm.  I don't get any below
that point, however.  I checked the htob and it has .040 preload where one
shim is .075, the directions say that the bearing should have zero play or
slight preload, so I think I am ok there.

As I recall, the counterweights on the outside of the pressure plate will
make it easier to operate the clutch at speed.  If this is true then it
would seem that they are releasing too much and allowing the clutch to slip.

Does anyone have any experience like this?  Any suggestions on what to do
about it?

James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer
71 MGBGT V8