Re: need help/suspension problem

To: Julie Ann Phillips <jphillips@cvalley.net>, v8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: need help/suspension problem
From: "Ron Howard" <DigiFX@coastalnet.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:27:43 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I also have a chrome bumper '74 B that has had its "ups & downs", and I also
use the "V8 bushings"...aka "metalastic"...metal & rubber. I'm surprised to
hear you say that putting in new kingpins and bushing raised your ride
height...especially by as much as a fist. I can't quite understand how that
could make that much differance. Anybody? (How big are your hands
anyway...?) But to the point...I replaced my sacked out original springs at
about 120,000 mi., with the shorter heavy-duty springs, both front & rear.
The front stayed at the same level (as the old springs) as you describe,
with the top of the tire (185/70 R 14) being perhaps 1/4-1/2 inch above the
fender opening. Installation of the new lowered rear springs raised the
height of the rear by nearly 2 inches over the old spring's droop.
Pros & Cons IMHO: Visually, it's perfect. You will need to adjust the toe-in
of the front wheels. You will have approximately 1/8 inch of suspension
travel before the springpan hits the rubber stop...that little piece of
rubber that keeps your stock springs from totally slamming shut on
compression essentially becomes your suspension "spring". My cracked
windshield, damaged while going over a 3" bump in the road, strongly
suggests that if you use the short springs in front you will need to
"shorten" the bracket holding the spring stop by cutting and welding back
together, or you can buy shortened ones for about $60 (I bought one set from
Victoria.) When I saw how simple it was, I opted to shorten the ones on my
other lowered car muself. This done, you will now have 1" of sprung
suspension. While this is acceptable to me for the driving I do with this
car, I would not want to do much long range travel in it. What else is the
trade off? Your car will not turn as sharply and the effort required at the
steering wheel will increase. You will also induce some degree of bump
steer, although not enough to be dangerous....again IMHO. The car will ride
harder and corner flatter. Do I like the lowered setup enough to do it
again? Yes. It's more work than you might first think. But then, what isn't?
Just be aware that there are definitely tradeoffs.     ....ron
--
"There is a certain relief in change...it is often a comfort to shift one's
position and be bruised in a new place" -- Washington Irving