Re: Rover 3.5

To: <BlkfxdWG@aol.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rover 3.5
From: "Michael Hartwig" <mhartwig@midsouth.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:20:34 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I wouldn't agree to any price until you take it to a machine shop.  I know
how hard it is to find Rovers in TN.  I got my 88' RR engine for $500 w/o
EFI.  I think mine had about the same mileage as yours.  My #8 cylinder was
.008" over, so I had to get the engine bored out.  The front cover is
useless, as the water pump sits too high + if you ever have to change the
pump, prepare to open the wallet wide open.  I was quoted anywhere from $150
to $250!!  If you change to the 215 front cover, your distributor will not
fit.  Front pulley does not work.  You can use the outermost pulley, and it
will clear the sway bar, but forget about an electric puller fan.  I found
it easier to use the SD1 pulley.

If you thought it was hard to find an engine in TN, it's even harder to find
parts.  Half of the auto parts stores in Memphis have never heard of a RR,
and the local Land Rover dealer doesn't care about you unless your driving a
RR in for service.  You will get good at cross referencing Buick parts:)

Check to see how much sludge there is in the lifter valley, and get
everything mangafluxed, or use the dye penetrant.  Then we can tell how much
the engine is worth.

Mike