Re: SMOG was Let the mods begin

To: "KILE, PAUL D" <Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com>
Subject: Re: SMOG was Let the mods begin
From: "Scott Pontius" <spontius@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 00:02:26 -0700
Cc: <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
>None of the MGB-GT V-8s in the US are Federal-spec cars, all are UK-spec
>that were brought in during the "grey market" years in the 1980s.  I
>have a 1974 chrome bumper version, VIN GD2D1-889G, that was brought over
>here in 1984 by a guy in Colorado.
>My car has a California BAR sticker on the door jamb that specifies the
>original equipment on the engine, and provides a special computer number
>for smogging the car.  It will be interesting to see if that sticker is
>honored when I complete my restoration next year!

Paul,
You may just have the California MGB-V8 Holy Grail stuck to your doorjamb.
If I understand factory GTV8 history, that sticker should indicate
California acceptance of an MGB with dual SU carbs/no airpump/no catalytic
convertor/cast iron exhaust manifold UK spec.
The MG Owners Club in the UK is now listing repro dual SU intake manifolds
as a standard replacement part.  This leaves only the cast iron exhaust
manifolds as a real barrier to a complete retro-factory conversion.
Unfortuately, I hear that these manifolds in uncracked condition are as
scarce as hen's teeth.  Maybe enough interest from California V8 convertors
and others could prompt some enterprising manufacturer into reproducing
these castings...
If the California Air Resources Board has certified your car, they could be
forced to accept other cars with the same specs...
I am sure that many others would like to know more about your car, as it is
certainly possible that it is the only MGB-V8 in the history of the universe
to have been certified by the California smog nazis!

>Cheers,
>Paul Kile
>"Purveyor of more obscure MGB-GT V-8 trivia than one would care to know"

Oh, don't bet on that- many of us would like to pick your brain of every
last tidbit of MGB-GT V-8 trivia...  :)

Scott Pontius
'78 MGB with 3/4 plumbed and wired SD1 V8
Los Angeles