Re: SMOG was Let the mods begin

To: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: SMOG was Let the mods begin
From: "chris quan" <chrisquan@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 12:04:33 PDT
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
.
>Hence the problem for V8 installers: Even if you install a 1980 FI V8,
>nice clean running engine, in a '73 or earlier B, you will have to run
some
>sort of headers to make it physically fit in the engine bay.  You have
now
>changed an original equipment emission component, the exhaust
manifolds.  If
>you are ever visually inspected in some sort of random check, you will
fail,
>unless someone goes to the trouble of getting a CARB EO number for BV8
>headers-unlikely.

Some time ago someone I knew was trying to use Rover 3500 manifolds in
his conversion. Not the UK version but the US one. Unlike the UK, the US
version had a short 4 into 1 cast maifold but what was interesting was
that while one side went out then straight down the other side went out
about 2 1/2" went to a central collector and then down not straight but
inwards at about a 30 degree angle (toward the block) just like the
headers I have seen for this conversion. The US one is done, I believe,
to clear the steering arm and thus you need to get one from two
different cars. I can't remember if that side is the one with the EGR
valve but all US manifolds (at least from 80 and 81) have bosses on all
manifolds on the left and the right which can be tapped for that. Has
anyone used these or knows if indeed they can be used as this would
comply with CA regs.

>Also, according to my California Bureau of Automotive Repair engine
change
>guide, a small pamphlet published by the California guvmint, it is
never
>allowable to swap any engine into any car that was not originally
available
>and certified in that chassis, either by the CARB or the US EPA.  For
>example, it would apparently be okay to pull a straight six out of a
'74
>Chevy Nova and install a '74 Chevy 305, because the '74 Chevy Nova was
>available and certified in '74 with the 305.  But, does the California
>guvmint consider the MGB to have been originally available with a 3500
cc
>V8?  I doubt they have ever heard of it.

This seems strange as there are plenty of Jags running around here with
Chey V8's and Z cars also with the same. I have seen certification tags
on many of these and in fact I know personally of an 84 Jag XJ6 with an
88 Chevy 350 that was certified just last year. It looks perfectly stock
except for the catalytic converters which are aftermarket. I wiil see if
I can talk to the owner (a neighbor) and ask about the certification
process.

Chris Quan