Re: Lowering RBB

To: "Scott Pontius" <spontius@worldnet.att.net>, mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Lowering RBB
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 22:17:03 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
I'm one step ahead of you.  Did the same thing to my 78B.  Still running on
the 4 banger while I get my RR V8 rebuilt.
I was looking for a 1" drop as well.  I ordered mine from vicky brit.  I
was shocked to see that they lowered the front end by 2"!!  Needless to
say, that with the new ST air dam, my car is slammed.  Only have about 5.5"
of ground clearance up front.  I haven't driven it much (no
plates,lights,and up to a few days ago no winshield), but from what i've
done around the block, it handles great.  I do have a 3/4" sway bar and
energy susp sway bar bushings up front and SPAX in the back.  So the car is
rock solid.  Which doesn't matter to me, my first and only vehicle has been
an 87 Toyo Truck, so i'm not used to good suspension and handling.  One
thing I noticed was that my wheel travel is next to nothing about 1".  So
if you do it, you'll either need to buy the lower rubber stops, or modify
the ones on the car to give more travel.  As far as weird geometry, the
arms do go up with a slight angle.  I'm sure that wreaks havoc on it, but I
don't really care.  Take a look at your arms, then imagine them almost
flat,  that's how low I am.  As far a excess tire wear, i'm running on
195/60R15 Yokohama A509's.  They are the softest and stickiest tires i've
ever used, so I don't expect to get too much use out of them.  As far as
looks, the B doesn't have that "Jacked up look"  Ride height is about the
same as my bro's 70B, except for the rear end.  I'm not sure what i'll do
there.  I can send you some pics of my front end if you want.  It'll give
me another excuse to use my digital camera.  Also have some pics posted at
http://members.tripod.com/~mhartwig/MGB/    Just a dir with some pics, but
none of the front end.

Have fun
Mike