Re: overheating TF

To: Bob Peck <bobpeck@mother.com>, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: overheating TF
From: Dick Dell <rddell@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 09:49:08 -0400
At 04:47 PM 6/26/99 -0700, you wrote:

> I am using two <gaskets> as previous owner apparrently milled the head to
>increase compression to about 9.6 to 1.

Bob,

Just a quick note. While I have never used two gaskets myself I have heard
that it is a practice to be avoided. Back in my hotrod days when we used to
fool around with engines quite a bit I was tempted to use two gaskets to
bring down the compression on an engine I'd bought. The engine rebuilder
told me that was a sure way to blow head gaskets.  Could this have been
your problem from the beginning?

My solution at the time was to use a single, extra thick gasket that was
available from the speed shop. Not sure if such a thing is available for a
T-series.

Could you live with the 9.6 : 1 ? You're going to run premium gas anyway,
I'm sure.

Dick Dell