Re: PA Engine - Oil seals etc.

To: viv@trax.co.za
Subject: Re: PA Engine - Oil seals etc.
From: "J.E.A. Rich" <mmmbob@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 08:44:30 -0600
Cc: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Viv,

Your seal questions are easy to ask, but not so easy to answer without asking several more questions. You need to own, or have a friend who owns, a small lathe and a vertical milling machine and you'll probably get the jobs done for a case of beer or a bottle of Scotch, otherwise its going to be very expensive.

In my experience the most important seals are for the vertical drive shaft as they keep oil out of the dynamo. S&V will sell you a seal and carrier for an internal seal there if its never had one before, but I always put one on the outside of the vertical drive drain housing as well. The internal seal requires no machining but the outer one does as the "flinger" needs to be removed from the drive fork.

Seals can be installed on either end of the crankshaft but before I can suggest how you do it, I need to know what you have at the moment, and what you are aiming at !

Cheers, "Bob".

/// http://www.team.net/cgi-bin/majorcool