RE: M-portant info wanted!

To: "'Bob Grunau'" <grunau.garage@sympatico.ca>, <DB35PA@aol.com>, <TATERRY@aol.com>, <spook01@comcast.net>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: M-portant info wanted!
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:53:56 -0600
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
As has been mentioned previously, about 3 years ago I did a survey of engine
colors of Triple-M cars. I did this because so many engines I saw had green
as the lowest level paint color. The survey results were somewhat startling
as the common wisdom was that dark red was the "official" color of these
engines, light blue was for "racing" engines, and no one had an explanation
of "green". Someone had said green was used on 4 seaters, others said green
was used on factory rebuilt engines.

The tally of 35 respondents was:
Green/dark green: 15 (51%)
Red/dark red: 10 (35%)
Gray/green-gray: 2 (6.9%) (M-types only)
Light blue: 2 (6.9%)

Of the blue engines, both were factory prepared engines, not necessarily
"racing" engines.

I don't consider the M-types to be enough of a response to prove anything.
But the red and green engines were significant. I seriously doubt that green
would have been used exclusively on 4 seaters, as the engines were prepared
BEFORE being mated to a chassis. I also question whether the factory would
have gone to the trouble to repaint an engine when it was rebuilt.

Remember, the factory was never concerned with originality.

Cheers,
Lew Palmer