RE: sheet metal fume excluder for J2

To: <jorolibb@aol.com>
Subject: RE: sheet metal fume excluder for J2
From: "John James" <jj@octagon.fsbusiness.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:38:09 -0000
Cc: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hello John,

The notches to which you refer are there to fit the profile of the
transmission (as Lew Palmer says, the plate slides over the
transmission.

I am currently looking at two fume plates. The "notches", as you
describe them, both measure 3 1/4" x 3/16" at the 12.00 'o clock
position and 1 3/4" x 3/16" at the 6.00 'o clock position.

There is no split in either.

The 1/8" hole you mention is on the driver's side on the fume plate
which is from J3656 (which has been off the road for 40 years and is
believed to be original). It is not to be found on the spare plate I
have. However, on the J3656 fume plate there are two 1/8" holes on the
passenger's side at the bottom of the fume plate. These two holes are to
be found on the driver's side of the spare plate, but are smaller in
diameter - I've not measured them, but they are either 1/16" or 3/32".

As my spare fume plate is of doubtful parentage, I would prefer to rely
on the one for J3656 for originality purposes.

Lew quite rightly points out that the firewall needs to be raised to fit
the plate (and to remove engine/gearbox). A useful modification to
overcome this is to cut 5/8" off from all around the circumference of
the original fume plate and bolt a 1" metal strip to the cut down fume
plate, so positioned that it keeps its original profile. Bob Farnum
wrote an article on this in one of the Triple-M YearBooks - this is
where I got the idea from, but found that Bob had got a couple of the
bolt centre measurements wrong (which I told him about).

If you like, I can send you a template of my modified plate if this
helps - but give me time as I have work (mainly for the MGCC 'T'
Register) "coming out of my ears"!

Maybe, someone who has a better filing system than me can tell you which
Triple-M YearBook the article was in.

Seasonal Greetings!

JOHN JAMES