RE: sheet metal fume excluder for J2

To: <jorolibb@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: sheet metal fume excluder for J2
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:11:37 -0600
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
John,

Although I don't have my J2 at hand to check, I've had the fume sealing
plate off enough that I can probably fill you in:

The notches at the top of the cut out are not original to the best of my
memory. The slit from inside to outside was there on mine. I believe it is
to make the removal and replacement easier as it will allow the plate to be
spread somewhat. However, on mine and most I've seen the split is at the
bottom of the plate (6:00 o'clock) not at the top.

The plate slides over the transmission and is positioned behind the flange
on the bell housing. IT DOES NOT go between the flywheel housing and the
bell housing.

The easiest way to reinsert the rubber fume seal is to loosen the firewall
and raise it a few inches. Once that is done the metal plate can be
positioned and then the firewall and rubber seal can be lowered into
position. I've tried (the first and only time to pry the rubber seal back
into position. The only result of that method will be to destroy the rubber
and the fume plate (plus ruined fingers and a lot of frustration.)

I hope this clears things up.

Cheers,
Lew Palmer