RE: The New Safety Fast/MG Enthusiast magazine

To: <TATERRY@aol.com>
Subject: RE: The New Safety Fast/MG Enthusiast magazine
From: "John James" <jj@octagon.fsbusiness.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:40:56 -0000
Cc: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>, <mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hello Terry,

I think your "Safety Fast!" and 'MGE' must have gone via China (mind
you, most things seem to come out of China these days!), as they were
sent out in early November. Maybe they now come by Surface Mail to those
in North America, who don't pay the Airmail supplement, whereas, I'm
pretty sure that they used to come by the equivalent of the Royal Mail
"Standard Airmail" service (as opposed to the "Priority Airmail"
service). In practice the latter was only a few days behind the former.

We now have the second "combined" issue in the UK (it was received last
week).

You allude to a deal "cooked behind closed doors". Well the MGCC Council
meeting in October (the same one which kicked the ridiculous "Kimber
Palace" proposals into the long grass) instructed the Chief Executive to
reveal the gross cost and revenue information of the new arrangements.
He has not yet done so and the longer he delays, the more suspicious
some of us become. I sent him a reminder by e-mail about this on Sunday
and he has not yet replied.

In my view, we are living in a fool's paradise if we think these
arrangements can be sustained without the need for a subscription
increase.

I personally regret what I term to be the dismemberment of "Safety
Fast!" The question I ask is "Why could it not have been improved?"
After all, whilst all the Register and Centre contributors were giving
their time, free of charge, others were being paid to produce the
magazine. Why could they not have commissioned more articles of a
historical and technical nature?

Yes, I will carry on writing the 'T' Register Notes and Newsletters for
"Safety Fast!" but only because we now have some new Directors on the
Board (from whom I am expecting great things). "Totally T-Type" will of
course continue, but I need to remind everybody that it is produced on a
'shoestring' budget and with Internet "subscribers" outnumbering 'hard'
copy subscribers by 1.5 to 1 I might have to consider a way whereby the
former help in some small way to finance the production costs.

Seasonal Greetings!

JOHN JAMES