PA Ring Gear

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: PA Ring Gear
From: "Viv James TraX Interconnect (Pty.) Ltd" <viv@trax.co.za>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 15:07:43 +0200
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Need some advice. I am starting the rebuild of my PA engine which is a serious
rebuild
including new crank, rods etc. The following needs sorting out before I get the
whole
lot properly balanced.

A.      I got a new ring gear from S&V and have now found:

1. The original ring gear seems to be integral with the flywheel.

2. The inside diameter of the original ring gear on the engine side is about
10mm less
than that of the replacement.

B.      Must I:

1. Machine off the original gear then machine the flywheel to fit the new gear
and then
shrink it on?

2. Do something else?

3. If I am machining the flywheel, while I'm about it, should I machine off
more to
lighten it, if so from where?

C.      If I:

1. If I do B, the new ring gear will intrude on the clutch plate bolt holes.

2. Should I then tap them one size bigger, use set screws and chuck out the
original
fancy captive bolts and related nuts?

This will be the first of a series of questions from an XPAG man now joining
the big
time guys.

Viv James