Re: PA Ring Gear

To: "Viv James TraX Interconnect \(Pty.\) Ltd" <viv@trax.co.za>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: PA Ring Gear
From: "Dave & Diana Dwyer" <dmdwyer@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 19:16:48 +1100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Viv

Are you ##certain## that the ring gear is part of the flywheel? Ours wasn't.
In any case I didn't replace it - I merely turned the flywheel one hole
position on the flange so that the point where the engine stops is aligned
with an unworn area on the ring gear.

I would think that the ring gear is about 12mm thick from the bottom of the
gear profile to the inside diameter. Usually you can drill a hole at this
point then chop thru the weakend area with a cold chisel.

Is the OD of the ring the same as your existing one? ie if you fit it will
the starter mesh?

I really don't believe that you should need to reduce the OD of the
flywheel: what do S&V say?

I replaced the special clutch screws with UNF hi tensile and nylocs. The
heads are smaller and don't lock in the groove but you can reach in thru the
starter hole to hold the heads as you tighten.

Lightening? Absolutely!!!!!!!!! I have a drawing said to be Works for
lightening the P flywheel - if you need it I can send to you. I took all
that off and the car is nicer to drive: more would be better still. The
flywheel assy was 15.3Kg (flywheel 11, pressure plate 4, odds 0.3).
Machining to the drawing takes 4Kg off the flywheel, so the assy is down to
11.3Kg. On the other hand the Phoenix crank is 2Kg heavier than the
original, but that's got a much smaller moment of inertia than the flywheel.

Regards

Dave Dwyer
J2, TA, TC
Sydney

(The PA engine is in the J2, but that's another story!)